The COVID-19 pandemic has touched every corner of life, probably none harder than our area’s senior residents. However, there’s one senior living community that has been able to thwart off this silent invader and flourish amid the difficulty of the West Palm Beach shelter in place ordinance, turning social distance into something that adds to the health, well-being, and peace of mind of their residents.
At La Posada, a gated senior living community in the heart of Palm Beach Gardens, the safety and security of residents has always been a top priority.
During these unprecedented times of uncertainty, our residents still enjoy an independent lifestyle despite the need for social distancing. We know this is just temporary and as the resilient profile of this generation, they know how to make the most of a difficult situation.
La Posada associates are trained for such situations. They go through ongoing training to prepare in advance for outside adversity, such as weather situations, infectious disease management, food poisoning, and fires. The associates follow hotel and hospital protocols, going out of their way to keep their residents living a healthy, happy life.
First, safety and security measures are naturally in place. These include a gated entrance, a sophisticated sprinkler system, security cameras, and reception concierge desk all designed to monitor visitors coming on-site. Right now, La Posada is on full restriction of visitors, with the exception of compassionate visits (for clergy at end of life) and essential health care services.
In addition, the community is monitoring all associates and residents for fever and cough, with regular temperature checks. Group activities are restricted, no larger than groups of 10 in the dining rooms and wellness center. Room service dining is encouraged, and the residents don’t seem to mind because the meals are all being prepared by the community’s two five-star-level chefs.
In addition, La Posada has developed clever ways to keep the residents safe and secure, including:
- Grocery delivery right to their doors
- Chef-prepared meals, bringing new meaning to the term “take out and delivery”
- Pet walking (and the occasional pet grooming)
- Valet services to go out and get anything our residents may need
- Pharmacy delivery
- Contactless “sit and fit” exercise done in the doorways of their home
- FaceTime™ connection to family and friends
- Hallway bingo — which is always fun
- Serenades and the occasional Karaoke competition can be heard throughout the hallways
- Courtyard entertainment from our talented staff, enjoyed from our residents’ balconies
- Interactive games so that residents can still enjoy each other’s virtual company
- Virtual hugs from friends and family — including birthday parties and anniversaries
We have taken measures to not only give our residents peace of mind knowing they are safe and sound, but also provide ways to stay upbeat with positive energy and connected virtually to their family and friends. Thinking outside the box and adapting to a changing environment is what our associates are trained for every day to prepare, prevent, and protect our residents from any outside adversities.